Interested in starting a business in Hutto! We’re delighted to talk with you. Contact Development Services for assistance. We’ve also provided the list of 16 items to be considered when starting a new business. Some of the items may not be applicable to the type of business you are starting and some items may be missing from the list. PDF Version of the list
1. Secure a copy of "Application for Employers Identification Number" (Form SS-4) from the Internal Revenue Service.
Internal Revenue Service
825 E. Rundberg Ln.
Austin, TX 78753
Hours: M-F 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
2. If a business is to be operated under an assumed name, the name under which it proposes to operate should be filed with the Williamson County Clerk. Prior to filing the assumed name, contact the office of County Clerk to see if any other business is presently operating under the name.
Williamson County Clerk's Office
Williamson County Justice Center
405 MLKGeorgetown, TX 78626
Hours: M-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
3. For corporate certificates and all information pertaining to filing of articles of incorporation or authority of foreign corporations to do business in Texas, contact the Secretary of State.
Texas Secretary of State
4. Owners and managers of new businesses in Hutto, Texas should contact the Comptroller Office of the State of Texas for information on Sales Taxes, Store Taxes and other laws administered by this office.
Texas State Comptroller's Office
P.O. Box 13528, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711-3528
Check with the State to determine if any statewide permits or licenses are required.
Office of the Governor
Economic Development and Tourism Division
5. Information about licenses and fees pertaining to the sale, transportation or storage of alcoholic beverages can be obtained from the Liquor Control Board.
Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission – Georgetown Outpost
517 Pine Georgetown, TX 78626
6. Firms involved in the handling, processing, packaging and warehousing of foods must have Health Permits, which are issued for Hutto by Williamson County and Cities Health District.
Williamson County and Cities Health District
100 W. 3rd St. (Mailing Address)
312 Main St. (Physical Address)
Georgetown, Texas 78626
7. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to maintain records on wages, hours and other items. Employers having workers subject to minimum wage provisions must display certain posters where employees can readily see them.
U.S. Department of Labor
Wage and Hour Division
San Antonio District Office
Northchase 1 Office Building
10127 Morocco, Suite 140
San Antonio, TX 78216
8. Obtain information from the Texas Employment Commission regarding the collection of unemployment insurance, tax, and benefits to qualifying employees.
Texas Workforce Commission
East Central Region
101 E. 15th St., Room 330
Austin, TX 78701
9. Obtain information from Bureau of Labor Statistics on laws that relate to employers and safety.
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations
Austin, TX 78701
10. Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. No building shall be occupied or used, and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building shall be made until a Certificate of Occupancy is issued.
City of Hutto
Community Development Department
409 W. Front St., Suite 200
Hutto, Texas 78634
11. Information concerning import and export procedures can be obtained from the International Trade Division of the Department of Commerce or the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
International Trade Administration – Austin Office
221 E. 11th St., 4th Floor
Austin, TX 78701
12. Information about various management, procurement and loan programs to assist small businesses may be obtained by contacting the Small Business Administration.
Small Business Administration
4300 Amon Carter Blvd. Suite 114
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
13. Utility hook-up. Information about utility connection, fees, and services can be obtained from the individual agencies.
Please see Utility Guide for list of agencies and contact information.
[editor’s note – “Utility Guide” to be completed (it’s complicated)]
14. Area Wage Survey Information is available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Bureau of Labor Statistics – Southwest Office
EA&I, Room 221 525 Griffin St.
Dallas, TX 75202
15. Information concerning requirements to be complied with on the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 can be obtained from the Texas Department of State Health Services or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Texas Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 149347
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration – Austin Office
1033 La Posada Dr., Suite 375
Austin, Texas 78752-3832
16. Information concerning environmental control requirements can be obtained from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) or the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
TCEQ Region 11 - Austin
2800 S IH 35, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78704-5712
EPA Region 61445 Ross Ave., Suite 1200
Dallas, Texas 75202