Household Hazardous Waste
City of Hutto residential garbage service customers who have household hazardous waste materials such as old paint and pool chemicals now have a free and safe way to dispose of them. Vouchers are available through the City's Utility Billing Office, 401 W. Front St., to dispose of household hazardous waste at the Williamson County Recycle Center located at 495 CR 156 Georgetown, Texas 78626. MAP
The City received a grant through the Capital Area Council of Governments to establish and implement this program. Each City of Hutto garbage service household will be eligible to receive a voucher each quarter, if the funding allows. Customers must have an active City of Hutto utility account and will be required to present a photo ID when requesting the voucher. The voucher will cover 100% of the disposal cost and will be valid for up to 30 days after issuance. The Williamson County Recycle Center will accept the voucher when disposing the items and submit the voucher to the City of Hutto for payment through the grant funds.
What types of household hazardous waste will be accepted? Common products used in the home and garden, that have labels with words such as "caution", "toxic", "poison" or "danger". Examples of such products are:
Art and hobby chemicals
Household cleaners and disinfectants
Thinners and solvents
To transport the household hazardous waste to the Williamson County Recycling Center:
- Keep products in their original containers.
- Do not mix products.
- Make sure the lids are secure.
- Label materials that are not in the original containers.
- Place leaking containers in a larger, plastic container with a tight fitting lid.
- Secure products upright in a cardboard box to prevent the items from tipping over in your vehicle.
- Transport products in the back of a pick up truck or in a car trunk.
- Make sure that there is adequate ventilation if you must transport in a passenger area of the vehicle.
- Keep flammables out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat, spark or flame.
- Do not smoke.
A complete list of acceptable household hazardous waste.
The Williamson County Recycle Center hours are: Thursday and Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The Center's staff may be contacted by phone at (512) 864-3240 for appointments on Monday through Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.