This checklist is designed to help make a security survey of your home. The security inspection should begin at the front door and work around the entire outside of the home. Include all doors, windows, locks, lights, landscaping, gates and garage. Each question answered in the negative indicates a security weakness or hazard which requires attention. If professional advice and assistance in making a security inspection is desired, call the Crime Prevention Officer from the Hutto Police Department at (512) 846-2057.
• Are all doors entering the living quarters from the outside, garage and basement of metal or solid construction?
• Are door frames strong enough and tight enough to prevent forcing or spreading?
• Are door hinges protected from removal from outside?
• Are there windows in any door or within 40 inches of locks?
• Are all door locks adequate and in good repair?
• Are strikes and strike plates adequate and properly installed?
• Can the locking mechanism be reached through a mail slot, delivery port or pet door?
• Is there a screen or storm door with an adequate lock?
• Are all outside entrances lighted with at least a 40-watt light?
• Can front entrance be clearly observed from street or public areas?
• Does porch or landscaping offer concealment from street or public areas?
• If there is a sliding glass door(s), is the sliding panel secured from being lifted out of the track?
• Is a pin or key operated auxiliary lock used on sliding glass doors?
• Do all windows have pinning devices in addition to the existing locks?
• Do windows have screens or storm windows that lock from inside?
• Are exterior areas of windows free from concealing structure or landscaping?
• Is exterior adequately lighted at all window areas?
• Are trees and shrubbery kept trimmed back from upper floor windows?
Basement Doors and Windows
• Is there a door from the outside to the basement?
• If so, is that door adequately secure for an exterior door?
• Is outside basement entrance lighted by exterior light of at least 40 watts?
• Is outside basement door concealed from street or neighbors?
• Are all basement windows adequately secured against entrance?
Garage Doors and Windows
• Is automobile entrance door to garage equipped with adequate locking devices?
• Is garage door kept closed and locked at all times?
• Are garage windows secured adequately?
• Is outside utility entrance to garage as secure as any other ground floor entrance?
• Are tools and ladders kept in garage?
• Are all garage doors lighted on the outside by at least a 40-watt light?