The City of Hutto recently completed its second comprehensive citizen survey. Approximately 2,100 homes were randomly selected to participate in the survey. Government Research Solutions conducted the survey which sought to seek citizen's input regarding current programs and services, new initiatives, and future policy.
The top priorities listed by Hutto residents are business / economic development and job creation, infrastructure improvements (streets, roads, sidewalks, and sewer), and a grocery store. In addition, Hutto citizens listed the following priorities as the most important:
- Creating local jobs.
- Expanding retail opportunities.
- Neighborhood revitalization.
- Roadway improvement.
- Beautification of the City.
The results of the survey confirm that overall Hutto residents have a positive view of the services received from the City and that they are still satisfied with the overall quality of life in the City. The citizen survey is a useful tool in that it connects our strategic planning efforts to the services that citizens receive, and it tells us how we are doing and helps us determine ways we can improve.
- 58.71% of respondents said they are satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of life in Hutto.
- 23.99% of respondents said they are satisfied or very satisfied with the City efforts in attracting economic development compared to 52.60% who are unsatisfied or very unsatisfied.
- 70.56% of respondents said they are satisfied or very satisfied with the safety provided by the police.
- Only 24.48% said they are satisfied or very satisfied with pedestrian mobility in the City.
- 31.96% of respondents said they are satisfied or very satisfied with code enforcement compared to 23.31% who are unsatisfied or very unsatisfied.
- Only 38.25% of respondents said they were satisfied with the City’s water quality (taste).
- 56.94% of respondents said they were satisfied with street maintenance in their neighborhood compared to 19.26% who are not.
- Curbside Recycling, Trash collection, Storm Water Drainage, Fire, Ambulance, and Safety Protection from Police received the highest levels of satisfaction.
- Newer residents are more satisfied with the direction the City is heading than residents who have lived in Hutto for longer than three years.
- As with 2008 Citizen Survey, residents in different areas of the City are happier with certain services than citizens in other areas. This can help us identify specific problems and take action to make improvements.
- Parks and trails, Safety (Police, Fire, EMS), and Youth Recreation (sports programs and facilities) are the most important quality of life programs and services the City currently provides per survey results.