Conserving electricity can help you save money and help reduce carbon emissions. Follow these simple steps to maximize efficiency and save. Purchase Energy Star certified appliances for their ability to use less energy. Check the label when purchasing new appliances to see if it qualifies. Check www.energystar.gov for rebates to help you save even more.
House Hold tips:
- Turn off lights and electronics not in use.
- Turn off power strips to prevent energy leakage.
- Seal all cracks around windows, plumbing, and fixtures. Add insulation where needed. Spray-on foam insulation helps seal all cracks.
- Turn your air conditioner to 78 degrees during the summer and 68 degrees during the winter.
- Raise the temperature when you leave your house.
- Turn down the thermostat on your hot water heater or purchase a more energy efficient water heater.
- Install awnings and blinds to block and insulate windows from sunlight.
- Run only full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Install energy efficient lighting such as compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) instead of incandescent bulbs.They are more energy efficient and can last 10x as long.
US Department of Energy - Energy
Environmental Protection Agency - Rebate Programs
Energy Conservation Tips