101-205 East Street (west side), 202 Farley Street, and 204 Highway 79
Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church
Church & Live Oak Streets
Lutheran church services in Hutto can be traced to 1890, when ministers M. Noyd and Gustav Berglund of the Palm Valley Lutheran Church at Brushy (now Round Rock) conducted occasional services for the area's rapidly growing Swedish population. In 1892 August Swenson led a successful effort to organize the Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church. The first church structure (1893) was destroyed by a tornado and replaced in 1894. In 1902 a third church building was constructed at this site an dedicated by the Rev. O. H. Sylvan. Church services were conducted in the Swedish language until 1940.
Hutto United Methodist Church
350 Ed Schmidt Blvd
This church was formed from two earlier congregations that worshiped in this area. In the late 1870s an American Methodist fellowship began meeting in the Shiloh Schoolhouse (3 mi. SE). They later shared the building of the Hutto Cumberland Presbyterian Church until a separate sanctuary was constructed. Area Swedish Methodists began meeting in homes with visiting ministers before starting a church in 1892. A Hutto sanctuary served the members until a new structure was dedicated at this site in 1911. The two churches united as one congregation in November 1938.
CR 135, CR 137
T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood Cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P. and Julia Crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her family, and many were unmarked. Today, the earliest marked grave is that of Joseph Metcalfe (d. 1887). Over time, the property exchanged hands from the Boatrights to the Haygoods. Birdie Haygood Badger sold the property in 1950 to the newly formed Hutto Cemetery Association, and the cemetery name changed to reflect its association to the community. Records indicate that within the cemetery's bounds are two lots once reserved for paupers, as well as one lot associated with the Swedish church that evolved into Hutto's First Methodist Church. The community's history is evident in the cemetery, with text on grave markers signifying settlers who came from other states or countries, area residents who belonged to fraternal organizations or who served in the military as early as the Civil War, and children whose brief lives also contributed to the local history. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
Hutto Lutheran Cemetery
FM 1660, CR 135
In 1892, several Swedish immigrants who had settled in the Hutto area established the Swedish Lutheran Evangelical Church. In 1894 a tornado destroyed the first sanctuary, built by members on Short Street. After utilizing a second church building for several years, the congregation moved to East Live Oak and Church Streets in 1902. The following year, the congregation purchased this site for a church cemetery. It is believed the first marked graves, dating as early as 1897, are those of children whose remains were exhumed and reinterred at the new cemetery. The first adult buried here was Johannes Anderson (d. 1903). There are several unmarked graves believed to be those of children. There are also graves of military veterans and tombstone symbols that reflect Masonic and Woodmen of the World affiliations. Today, Hutto Lutheran Cemetery is maintained by a church committee, which conducts special events and raised funds for maintenance of the burial ground. The site remains a link to the area's early Swedish settlers, their familied and their church. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
FM 1660, 5 mi. SE Hutto
The Saul family settled along Brushy Creek in Williamson County about 1850. One brother, Charles Saul (b. 1818) bought this 640-acre tract in 1862. This part of the ranch was first used as a family burial ground upon Charles' death on June 22, 1870. The cemetery has twenty-three marked graves dated from 1870 to 1918, including that of Charles' wife Louisa (Dawson) Saul (1814-1887). According to tradition, the cemetery contains a number of unmarked slave graves. This property has remained in Saul family ownership for well over a century. (1982)
The settlement of Avery was established in the mid-1800s by Daniel Kimbro, veteran of the Mexican War and Williamson County pioneer. The small farming community later was known as Norman's Crossing after pioneer M. B. Norman (1856-1921) who came to the area from Alabama in 1872. Besides farming a large tract of land along Brushy Creek, Norman, along with M. R. Kennedy, built and operated the local cotton gin. By 1914 the village boasted a general store, school, church, and a garage and machine shop. Descendants of some of the settler still live in the area. (1982)
Kimbro Family Cemetery
FM 1660/FM 3349 intersection, 7 mi. SW Taylor
This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family. Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years. Daniel Kimbro arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1836, the year independence from Mexico was declared. Settling first in San Augustine on the Sabine River, he later moved to Bastrop, where he operated a shop dealing in looms, spinning wheels, chairs, and wagons. He moved to this area in 1846, and lived in a tent on the banks of Brushy Creek. One of the signers of the petition to create Williamson County, he played an active part in the area's early development. He and his wife, Mary Polly (Gilbert) Kimbro, had six children, some of whom are buried here. though no headstone has been found for her, it is believed that Mary Polly Kimbro is also interred here with her family. For some time in the 1950s, the land surrounding the graves was used for farming, and many of the stones were damaged or removed. Some may have been plowed under when the land was cultivated. This cemetery stands as a reminder of Williamson County's past.