Pay & Benefits
Sign on Bonus
The City of Hutto offers a sign-on incentive in the amount of $5,000 net to Police Officers paid out over three years of employment. The officer will be paid $1,250.00 net at the first payroll following date of hire, $2,500.00 net on the first payroll after the first anniversary of hire, then $1,250.00 net on the first pay period after the third anniversary of hire.
Three (3) complete years of employment with the Hutto Police Department is required to receive the full sign-on bonus. If, the officer voluntary separates from the city at any time prior to completing three (3) years of employment, any incentive payments made to the officer including all taxes and benefits must be paid back to the City of Hutto within fourteen days following the voluntary resignation.
Cadet & Probationary Officer Pay
Cadets and Officers without prior experience that are hired by the Hutto Police Department will receive Probationary Officer Pay for the first year with the department.
Take Home Vehicle
After successfully completing the Field Training Officer program, an officer is assigned a fully equipped police vehicle. All officers living within 25 miles of Hutto, Texas are authorized to take their police vehicle to their place of residence.
Equipment / Uniform
Regulation service weapon, duty gear, and all other necessary equipment are included. Uniforms and dry cleaning services are provided by the department. Officers assigned to Criminal Investigations Unit receive a clothing allowance of $600 annually.
Each officer receives $500 per fiscal year to spend in a uniform and equipment portal.
Full Department Wellness Facility
Available on duty work outs.
Police Officer Certification Pay
Police officers will receive TCOLE certification pay at the following rates:
- Intermediate Peace Officer Certification: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- Advanced Peace Officer Certification: $100 per month ($1,200 annually)
- Master Peace Officer Certification: $150 per month ($1,800 annually)
Police Officer Education Pay
Police officers will receive education pay at the following rates:
- Associate's Degree: $75 per month ($900 annually)
- Bachelor's Degree: $125 per month ($1,500 annually)
- Master's Degree: $175 per month ($2,100 annually)
Specialty Incentive Pay
Police officers are eligible to receive the following additional incentive pay:
Tier 1 incentives (Qualified and accepted officers may only receive 1 (one) Tier 1 stipend)
- Field Training Officer: $130 per pay period/bi-weekly
- Officer in charge $130 per pay period/bi-weekly
- Special Response Team: $130 per pay period/bi-weekly
- Canine Officer: $130 per pay period/bi-weekly
- Detective: $130 per pay period/bi-weekly
Tier 2 Incentives (Qualified and accepted officers may receive multiple Tier 2 stipends in addition to any Tier 1 stipend)
- Accident Reconstruction: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- EMT/Paramedic: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- Firearms Instructor: $50 per month ($600 Annually)
- Back Up Crime Scene Officer: $50 per month ($600 Annually)
- Cooper Law Enforcement Physical Fitness Specialist Instructor: $50 per month. ($600 annually)
- Field Training Officer: $130 per pay period/biweekly
- Bilingual: Must pass an oral examination. $50 per month ($600 annually) for Level 1 and $75 per month ($900 annually) for Level 2.
Benefits Provided by the City
City of Hutto offers medical insurance coverage for all full-time employees and their dependents.
There are three medical plan options provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)
- Two dental plans offered through BlueCross Blue Shield of Texas
- Long Term Disability: 60% of your covered earnings to a minimum of $100 per month or a maximum of $6500 per month paid by the city
- $50,000 Basic Life Insurance policy paid by the city
- $50,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy paid by the city
- Employee Assistance Program paid by the city
- Vision plan paid by the city through BlueCross Blue Shield of Texas-Employee only.
Voluntary Benefits Offered by the City
- Voluntary life insurance for employee, spouse, children
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Protection
- Cancer Protection
- Hospital Protection
- ID Watchdog Identity Theft Protection
- MetLaw Legal Service
- Pet Insurance through Nationwide
The City participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). Participation is mandatory for employees working 1,000 or more hours per year. 7% of your gross pay will be deducted each paycheck and deposited into your member/retirement account. The City will match your contribution 2:1 and vesting is at the completion of 5 years of service. You will be eligible for retirement benefits at any age after 20 years of service or at age 60 with 5 years of service. To receive the City's contribution, you must be eligible for retirement.
The City also offers a voluntary 457 (Deferred Compensation) retirement plan which allows you to invest in your retirement and is a great way to supplement your TMRS retirement benefits. Taxes on your contributions are deferred until your assets are withdrawn. Employees may make tax deferred contributions to a 457 account, based on the following contribution limits:
- Under 50 years of age: $19,000 per year
- Over 50 years of age: $25,000 per year
The city also offers a voluntary Roth IRA plan which allows you to invest taxed dollars into an accessible account that can be used for major purchases such as college for kids. Your contributions can be pulled at any time with no penalty because the tax has already been paid. Interest and earnings can be withdrawn at retirement.
Education Program Reimbursement
It is a policy of the City to encourage employee development through formal education in order for an employee to maintain and improve job-related skills or prepare for advancement within the City. Therefore, the City shall reimburse the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and required books for courses which an employee takes through a school or institution that is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) or other nationally recognized board of accreditation, and as provided in this policy.
- This policy applies to regular, full-time employees with at least twelve consecutive months of service with the City.
- The maximum benefit for reimbursement per applicant shall be equal to the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and required books not to exceed $2,500 per fiscal year (10/1-9/30).
- Upon completion of a course in which an employee receives reimbursement, an employee must provide at a minimum one year of service to the City. If an employee discontinues employment for any reason prior to providing one year of service, the employee is required to reimburse the City for those funds.
100 Club of Central Texas
Upon completion of the second year of commissioned employment, a paid Life Time Membership to the 100 Club of Central Texas will be provided. This membership includes the Benefits for First Responders.
The City observes thirteen (13) paid holidays per year. Police officers have the ability to be paid or bank their holiday leave to use on a later date.
Full-time employees accrue sick time at a rate of 104 hours per year (4.0 hours per pay period) with no maximum accrual.
Full-time employees accrue vacation leave at the following rates:
- 0 - 5 year employees: 15 days or 120 hours
- 6 - 10 year employees: 20 days or 160 hours
- 11+ year employees: 25 days or 200 hours
Maximum accrual rates for vacation leave at the end of the calendar year is three (3) times the employee's maximum annual accrual hours.
The City provides regular full-time employees longevity pay. Longevity pay begins after a regular, full-time employee has completed one year of service. Longevity will be computed by multiplying the number of months of service completed on December 31st of each year, times the monthly longevity rate accrued. The monthly longevity rate is determined by the schedule below:
Years of Service / Rate per Month
- 0 - 4 Years: $5
- 5 - 9 Years: $7
- 10+ Years: $9