Pay & Benefits
Sign on Bonus
The City of Hutto offers a sign-on incentive in the amount of $5,000 net to Police Officers paid out over three years of employment. The officer will be paid $1,250.00 net at the first payroll following date of hire, $2,500.00 net on the first payroll after the first anniversary of hire, then $1,250.00 net on the first pay period after the third anniversary of hire.
Three (3) complete years of employment with the Hutto Police Department is required to receive the full sign-on bonus. If, the officer voluntary separates from the city at any time prior to completing three (3) years of employment, any incentive payments made to the officer including all taxes and benefits must be paid back to the City of Hutto within fourteen days following the voluntary resignation.
Cadet & Probationary Officer Pay
Cadets and Officers without prior experience that are hired by the Hutto Police Department will receive Probationary Officer Pay for the first year with the department.
Take Home Vehicle
After successfully completing the Field Training Officer program, an officer is assigned a fully equipped police vehicle. All officers living within 25 miles of Hutto, Texas are authorized to take their police vehicle to their place of residence.
Equipment / Uniform
Regulation service weapon, duty gear, and all other necessary equipment are included. Uniforms and dry cleaning services are provided by the department. Officers assigned to Criminal Investigations Unit receive a clothing allowance of $600 annually.
Police Officer Certification Pay
Police officers will receive TCOLE certification pay at the following rates:
- Intermediate Peace Officer Certification: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- Advanced Peace Officer Certification: $100 per month ($1,200 annually)
- Master Peace Officer Certification: $150 per month ($1,800 annually)
Police Officer Education Pay
Police officers will receive education pay at the following rates:
- Associate's Degree: $75 per month ($900 annually)
- Bachelor's Degree: $125 per month ($1,500 annually)
- Master's Degree: $175 per month ($2,100 annually)
Officers must be accepted into each program to receive the specialty pay. Police officers are eligible to receive the following additional incentive pay:
- Accident Reconstruction: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- EMT/Paramedic: $50 per month ($600 annually)
- Firearms Instructor: $50 per month ($600 Annually)
- Back Up Crime Scene Officer: $50 per month ($600 Annually)
- Cooper Law Enforcement Physical Fitness Specialist Instructor: $50 per month. ($600 annually)
- Field Training Officer: $130 per pay period/biweekly
- Bilingual: Must pass an oral examination
- $50 per month ($600 annually) for Level 1
- $75 per month ($900 annually) for Level 2
Benefits Provided by the City
City of Hutto provides medical insurance coverage for all full-time employees and their dependents. The coverage is provided by UnitedHealthcare—National Choice Network.
- There are two medical plan options:
- High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Hutto Police Department Benefits 2018/2019
- The City of Hutto Contributes $150 per month towards the HSA
- Employee only coverage is paid 100% by the City of Hutto
- Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO)
- The City of Hutto pays a portion of the premium for coverage under this plan
- High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA)
- $2,000 calendar year benefit
- Long Term Disability: 60% of income paid monthly
- $50,000 Life Insurance policy
- $50,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy
- Employee Assistance Program
Voluntary Benefits Offered by the City
- UNUM Vision plan
- Additional life insurance for:
- Short Term Disability: 60% of income paid weekly
- UNUM Critical Illness Insurance
- UNUM Accident Protection
- ID Watchdog Identity Theft Protection
- MetLaw Legal Service
The City participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS). Participation is mandatory for employees working 1,000 or more hours per year. 7% of your gross pay will be deducted each paycheck and deposited into your member/retirement account. The City will match your contribution 2 to 1 and vesting is at the completion of 5 years of service. You will be eligible for retirement benefits at any age after 20 years of service or at age 60 with 5 years of service. To receive the City's contribution, you must be eligible for retirement.
The City also offers a voluntary 457 (Deferred Compensation) retirement plan which allows you to invest in your retirement and is a great way to supplement your TMRS retirement benefits. Taxes on your contributions are deferred until your assets are withdrawn. Employees may make tax deferred contributions to a 457 account, based on the following contribution limits:
- Under 50 years of age: $18,500 per year
- Over 50 years of age: $24,500 per year
Education Program Reimbursement
It is a policy of the City to encourage employee development through formal education in order for an employee to maintain and improve job-related skills or prepare for advancement within the City. Therefore, the City shall reimburse the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and required books for courses which an employee takes through a school or institution that is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) or other nationally recognized board of accreditation, and as provided in this policy.
- This policy applies to regular, full-time employee with at least twelve consecutive months of service with the City.
- The maximum benefit for reimbursement per applicant shall be equal to the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and required books not to exceed $2,500 per fiscal year (10/1-9/30).
- Upon completion of a course in which an employee receives reimbursement, an employee must provide at a minimum one year of service to the City. If an employee discontinues employment for any reason prior to providing one year of service, the employee is required to reimburse the City for those funds.
100 Club of Central Texas
Upon completion of Phase II of the Field Training Program, a paid Life Time Membership to the 100 Club of Central Texas will be provided. This membership includes the Benefits for First Responders.
The City observes twelve paid holidays per year. Police officers have the ability to be paid or bank their holiday pay.
Full-time employees accrue sick time at a rate of 96 hours per year (3.69 hours per pay period) and are permitted to accrue a maximum of 1,040 hours.
Full-time employees accrue vacation leave at the following rates:
- Less than 5 year employees: 10 days or 80 hours
- More than 5 year employees: 15 days or 120 hours
- More than 10 year employees: 17 days or 136 hours
- More than 15 year employees: 20 days or 160 hours
Maximum Accrual Rates for Vacation Leave
- Less than 5 year employees: 20 days or 160 hours
- More than 5 year employees: 25 days or 200 hours
- More than 10 year employees: 30 days or 240 hours
The City provides regular full-time employees longevity pay. Longevity pay begins after a regular, full-time employee has completed one year of service. Longevity will be computed by multiplying the number of months of service completed on December 31st of each year, times the monthly longevity rate accrued.
Years of Service / Rate per Month
- 0 to 4 Years: $5
- 5 to 9 Years: $7
- 10 or More Years: $9