The Health District has provided public health services to Williamson County, Texas since 1943. Currently more than 90 full time, part time, and hourly staff members serve county residents through offices located in Cedar Park, Georgetown, Round Rock, and Taylor. The agency was known as the Williamson County Health Department until 1989 when it was organized as a health district, a separate governmental entity under Texas law.
The Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD) resulted from a cooperative agreement among the governing bodies of the cities of Cedar Park, Georgetown, Round Rock, Taylor, and the Williamson County Commissioners' Court. The cooperative agreement was updated in 1992 and again in 2007 and the cities of Liberty Hill and Hutto joined the Health District in 2007.