With winter weather season upon us, it's important to know what to do if you experience a frozen or broken water pipe in your home:
- Before a freeze, wrap all exposed pipes or water lines and cover all exterior faucets around your home. Old towels and rags work great to wrap exposed pipes.
- Take a minute to find your water shut off valve. For most City of Hutto water customers, the shut off valve is located in a box between your water meter and your home. This is usually at ground level in a front yard near the street.
- Once freezing weather arrives, turn one interior cold-water faucet - the one furthest away from your water meter - to a slow drip. If pipes run through cabinets or vanities, open the doors to let warmer air flow in.
- If a pipe does freeze or break, shut off your water immediately using the valve mentioned above. If you are out of town during this freeze, find a family member or friend to check on your pipes and shut off your water, if needed.
- If you experience a power outage for more than 24 hours, stop dripping your faucets and shut off your water.
- If you need assistance or experience a utility emergency, please contact the City of Hutto Public Works Department 24/7 at 512-759-4016.
Pipes are just one of the four “P’s” to protect this winter. For more information on how to protect people, plants, and pets, please visit the links below.