Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?

All new visible construction within Old Town requires a Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF) from the Historic Preservation Commission. New construction is subject to the architectural guidelines in the Old Town Master Plan and the standards of the SmartCode. Fences are considered new construction and therefore require a Certificate of Appropriateness, with the exception of certain fence types in the OT-3 district. Exterior changes to contributing structures, including new doors, window shutters, awnings, and railings, also require HPC approval.

Paint colors should be chosen from the approved list of Historically Appropriate Paint Colors (PDF). This list is provided by Benjamin Moore, but other brands may be used provided they match the approved list.

Changes That Do Not Require Historic Preservation Commission Approval

  • Exterior changes to non-contributing structures
  • Small, minor building or construction not visible to the public eye
  • Fences meeting pre-approved material and height specifications on properties within the OT-3 district
  • Temporary construction trailers for the use of on-site material storage during construction
  • Changes in paint color
  • Ordinary maintenance and repair that does not involve changes in dimension, material, configuration, or outward appearance
  • Work that is required for a property to come into compliance with federal and state laws pertaining to persons with disabilities

Show All Answers

1. Are you planning to build a structure in Old Town?
2. Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
4. What if I make changes to the plans during construction, after the Certificate of Appropriateness has been granted?