When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is needed for the following construction:

  • Adding to existing driveways/sidewalks in the City Right-of-Way
  • Additions to existing structures
  • Building a patio cover or concrete patio
  • Change of Occupant/New Tenant Lease Space/Use
  • Demolition
  • Fences in the Historic Downtown District
  • Finishing an attic, or garage to make additional living space
  • Irrigation systems
  • Moving more than 50 cubic yards or any amount of cut/fill on sites affected by waterways or slope hazards
  • New Air Conditioning Unit (HVAC)
  • New construction (commercial and residential)
  • Remodels (relocation or removal of interior walls, and/or electrical, mechanical, or plumbing)
  • Signs (new, re-facing, or banner)
  • Storage Buildings exceeding over 200 square feet
  • Swimming pools
  • Water Heater/Water Softener
  • Water/Wastewater connections

Homeowners Associations

Please contact your Homeowners Association for additional requirements and/or deed restrictions that may apply to your project even if a city permit is not required.

If you do not have a Home Owners Association, please see your deed restrictions which are usually located in your closing documents. You can also contact the Williamson County Clerk for a copy of your property's deed restrictions.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit?
2. How do I apply for a building permit?
3. Am I required to have an alarm permit?
4. How do I apply for an alarm permit?
5. How much is an alarm permit?
6. How do I apply for a food vendor permit?
7. How do I apply for a distributor, peddler or solicitor permit?