What are the basic steps to starting a business?

File an assumed name (DBA) certificate with the County Clerk in the county/counties where the business is located and/or will conduct business.

Nancy E Rister
Williamson County Clerk
P.O. Box 18
Georgetown, TX 78627

Phone: 512-943-1515

Additional Steps

  • Corporations and incorporation documents are filed with the Secretary of State in Austin 512-463-5555. Upon filing in Austin, the DBA is then filed in the county/counties where the business is located and/or will conduct business. Forms and information are available on the Secretary of State's web site.
  • To obtain a state sales tax ID Number , contact the State Comptroller at the LBJ State Office Building via 512-463-4600 or 800-252-5555. Forms are available on the State Comptroller's website.
  • Business resource information is available from the Texas Economic Development Office of Small Business Assistance at 512-936-0101 or 800-888-0511, or on the Texas Economic Development website.
  • To order a business tax kit and other publications from the IRS, call 800-829-3676.A federal tax ID Number is available through the IRS at 800-829-4933. Online application and forms are available on the IRS website.
  • Employer's ID Number - contact the Texas Workforce Commission at 512-463-2731 or 800-832-9394. Information is also available on the Texas Workforce Commission website.
  • Call the Department of Insurance at 512-463-6515 or 800-252-3439.
  • For safety regulations, contact OSHA at 800-321-OSHA. Information is also available at the OSHA website.
  • For patent or copyright information, contact the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office at 800-786-9199 or visit the Patent Trademark website.
  • If the business is operated in a home, review the deed restrictions and contact the homeowners' Association and the planning and zoning division for requirements at 512-759-3479 or email Planning.
  • If the business is located in a city or its jurisdiction, contact that city for possible permit requirements at 512-759-5971 or email the Building Department.
  • Contact the Williamson County and Cities Health District for a business involved in food preparation at 512-930-4390 or visit the Health District website.
  • Contact the Hutto Community Development Corporation by visiting their webpage.

Show All Answers

1. What are the basic steps to starting a business?
2. What permits are required?
3. When is a Certificate of Occupancy required?