How do I apply for a building permit?
The Permits and Inspections Division of the Development Services Department performs the review of all residential and commercial site plan and building plan applications. They issue residential and commercial construction related permits and perform on-site inspections. Our team of building inspectors visit all construction sites within the City to ensure compliance with building, energy, mechanical, environmental, drainage, erosion control, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, and housing/zoning standards leading up to the final certificate of occupancy.
To find a specific application, please visit the permit applications page.
When do I need a building permit?
- Storage Buildings exceeding over 200 sq ft
- Adding to existing driveways/sidewalks in the City Right of Way
- Additions to existing structures
- Building a patio cover or concrete patio
- Change of Occupant/New Tenant Lease Space/Use
- Fences in the Historic Downtown District
- Finishing an attic, or garage to make additional living space
- Irrigation systems
- Moving more than 50 cubic yards or any amount of cut/fill on sites affected by waterways or slope hazards
- New A/C Unit (HVAC)
- New construction (commercial and residential)
- Remodels (relocation or removal of interior walls, and/or electrical, mechanical, or plumbing)
- Signs (new, re-facing, or banner)
- Swimming pools
- Water Heater/Water Softener
- Water/Wastewater connections
Please contact your Homeowners Association for additional requirements and/or deed restrictions that may apply to your project even if a city permit is not required.
If you do not have a Home Owners Association, please see your deed restrictions which are usually located in your closing documents. You can also contact the Williamson County Clerk for a copy of your property's deed restrictions.
Am I required to have an alarm permit?
Security Systems have come a long way! Today, there are many options to choose from that allow you to monitor your home, or business, even by cell phone while you are away!
While securing your home or business, if your alarm is located inside of the Hutto city limits you are required to purchase an alarm permit, or register, each system you own and operate. This is required by City Ordinance regardless of whether or not your security system is monitored. View the complete ordinance here and enter "alarm permit" in the search field.
How do I apply for an alarm permit?
Please complete the application and submit to the Hutto Police Department with payment.
If you have a Hutto address but are outside of the city limits, you will need to purchase an alarm permit with the Williamson County Sheriff's Office. Visit their website for more information.
How much is an alarm permit?
Residential alarm permit fees are $25 annually. Business alarm permit fees are $50 annually.
How do I apply for a food vendor permit?
If you are interested in a mobile food vendor permit, please contact Development Services at 512-846-2640.
How do I apply for a Distributor, Peddler or Solicitor permit?
A city issued permit is required for door-to-door soliciting within the city limits of Hutto.
Please visit the Hutto Police Department page for specific requirements and application information.